Bibber International




WISA Chairman's Award Winner 2012

Working in Australia - Agriculture Placement Information

Where can I go?

There are placements available in several regions of Australia. Please note that many of the Farms in Australia are in very remote areas and are not close to large cities. If you know of a Farm in which you would like to receive experience, tell us and we will contact them to see if they will join the program. We also need to make sure that they will look after you!
When are the placements available?

Placements are available all year round and are usually for a full 12 month period. Your placement information will give you start and finish dates and you will be able to make your travel arrangements around these dates. Please note that we cannot ask Immigration to issue your visa to match your travel dates.  It does not work that way!


What are my chances of successfully finding a job?

If you have experience, references and good English language skills, then your chances should be very good. Of course this must be supported by a detailed, informative application, resume and autobiography.


I have a working holiday visa. Can I still use Bibber for my Placement?

Yes, we can still help you with a placement and also provide support for you (with banking and taxes etc) while you are here. Before you apply for your working holiday visa, please think carefully about what you intend to do in Australia and how long you intend to stay. If you plan to work for three months in one placement and then spend the rest of the year travelling and working in hotels and restaurants (or other jobs not associated with your current occupation), then the working holiday may be best for you. If however, you are only coming to work in your current occupation or would like a placement longer than 6 months, then you should consider using the Bibber visa. One of the reasons is taxes. If you come in on a working holiday visa (417) you will pay tax at about 30% for every dollar that you earn (and there is no refund of this money later unless you make a false declaration- the Tax office is aware of this and can check your visa status on the Immigration system at any time). If you come on the Bibber Visa you are more likely to be taxed the same as an Australian resident. This means that the total tax could be as low as 5% or even lower. There is also an amount that is tax free and that is currently set at $18000.  This means that you can earn this much in one year before you even pay any tax!  Please note that your piggery would still take tax from your pay, however you would be likely to get most of it back at tax time. This is could be a very large saving over the time you are here – often more than the cost of the Bibber program fees. Please note that it is difficult to change to this visa from the 417 after you have arrived here. Many people ask us each year when they are very upset about the amount of tax that they have to pay.


Can my friend and I work in the same place?

Friends often do work in the same place together and this is often arranged by the individuals rather than by Bibber. It should be remembered that requesting two placements at one place might limit your options. It may be better to request placements close to one another so that joint housing can be arranged. This way you can have the best of both worlds and have twice as many new friends! Please contact us if you would like to be placed close to another participant or if you have any other questions like this.


Will I be paid?

Yes you will be paid, and it will be enough for you to live on, if you are not too extravagant. Employers are required to pay according to the Government requirements. This means that your hourly rate could be between $15 and $20 per hour, depending on what you are doing. We strongly recommend that you do NOT compare placements based on the amount you are paid. There are many factors that contribute to a successful placement, not just the amount you earn.

If you are coming only to make money, stay home.
This is a learning experience not a money making venture


Will I need to buy a car?

If your placement is in a remote location, a car will be necessary to buy food and travel to and from work. A reasonable used car ( can be purchased for AUD$1,000-3000. Fuel is around $1.50 per litre so buying an economical car is important. If you are unsure whether you will need a car or not, please ask us or your employer.

You may also want to download and read this book about buying cars in Australia.


Will I need to get an International Driver’s licence?

Yes, an international Driver’s licence is a good idea and may help provide you with extra identification. Please arrange for this before you leave your home country.


Who can I turn to for help while I am in Australia?

We can be considered as your Aussie family while you are in Australia. If problems arise, we will be here to help. We will not however, hold your hand while you are here. All participants are treated as adults and you are expected to be able to solve minor problems yourself. You must also abide by local, state and federal laws or you will be terminated from the program and must return home.

You will have the time of your life!
Ask someone who has done it!





Follow us on Twitter

Find us on Facebook


Bibber Proudly Supports
Wolrd Vision



Bibber International Pty Ltd      PO Box 146 Glenelg South Australia 5045